Sunday 3 March 2013

convert to Islam: Model Ayesha, 24

Model Ayesha, 24

AYESHA OLUMIDE, from Edinburgh, is a model who works under her original name of Eunice. She converted to Islam in 2009 while at university. She says:
Before converting to Islam I was a Christian – but where my family is from in West Africa, Islam and Christianity are both practised. But it wasn’t until I started studying philosophy at university that I began to learn more about Islam. 

At first I was worried it would be too extreme but when I studied the Koran it blew my mind. The theories about nature and science appealed and I felt enlightened. You can’t always explain everything in a scientific way and Islam helps me with that.

Model behaviour ... at first Ayesha found it hard to 'square being a Muslim with being a model'
I was first scouted as a model while a 15-year-old tomboy. I was into football and athletics – but a career in fashion is all about looks. Converting to Islam made me realise how much we value people if society thinks they’re beautiful. 
 
At the mosque, women cover their head and dress modestly, so no one is judging you on what you look like. At first I found it hard to square being a Muslim with being a model. But I spoke to a Muslim sister and she said Islam is not an extreme religion, so if it felt too extreme to me it probably wasn’t right.
Now I cover my hair for 99 per cent of the time but if I don’t want to when I wake up one day, I don’t. And I don’t do any bikini or underwear shoots.
I don’t have set days at the mosque but I do go often and I pray every day. I would like to start a family in the future but don’t think I’d marry a non-Muslim.

No comments:

Post a Comment