Sunday 3 March 2013

convert to Islam: Jobseeker Claire, 24

Jobseeker Claire, 24

CLAIRE EVANS converted to Islam last July after researching it following a break-up. Claire, from Bridgend, South Wales, says:
After my heart was broken by a Muslim man, I wanted nothing more to do with the religion – I thought it was cruel and unkind.
But my mum started looking up more about Islam and pointed out the way this man had behaved was contrary to the faith’s teachings. 

I read up on it and discovered that Islam actually promotes tranquillity and peace.
Heartbreak ... Claire converted to Islam after breaking up with a Muslim man
I wasn’t religious before I converted. I didn’t really believe in God. I now cover my hair and wear a hijab, which was a big decision. My dad doesn’t like it, though, and I don’t wear the hijab when I’m with him.
At first I got some stares and nasty comments but in the past six months I’ve grown in confidence. Now I go to the mosque once a week and I pray every day. 

I also took a Muslim name, Safir, but I still use my old name of Claire too. I have a new partner too, who is a Muslim, but we’re not settling down just yet.
Islam has made me calmer and, for the first time in my life, I feel accepted.
There’s not much I miss about my old life, except the odd sausage roll – I can’t eat pork now.

No comments:

Post a Comment